Saturday, October 12, 2013

Puffer Fish

What I`m going to go into here is my favourite. Fishing cyprus from the boat, there are plenty of different techniques you can use. The main fish that you are trying to get with a boat are the bigger game fish. My real joy comes from Vertical Jigging, It`s a technique that Hardly anybody uses Fishing in Cyprus. When I say hardly anybody it was more like nobody. They sold the lures in the shops, No one ever brought them. Within 2 weeks of me buying my first Vertical jigging lure there was NOT one left on the shelf.

That`s because of a facebook page that I made. I called it North Cyprus Spearfishing. Every time I caught a fish. I put the pictures on there. Soon as they saw the Lures I was using. Everyone went mad on it. The only thing with jigging is that you need to give it time. Now I know you are not fishing for money, But take into account that a 5kg grouper is worth about 250tl. So you can`t expect that you will be catching them one after another or every body would be fishing cyprus, But you will catch them,













In my better times I was catching one every two days, ranging from 2.5kg to 5kg. All using the vertical jigging technique, basically with vertical jigging you need to know what the bottom of the sea is like, so you need sonar. Then you want to get back to the good spots, So you need GPS. Of course you need a boat and you need the lures.Vertical jigging does produce the best fish when you are fishing cyprus.

Though you will have to invest a lot of time money and effort into it. In this section I`m going to cover Silver Snapper, White Grouper , Dusky Grouper and Amberjack. All caught on the vertical Jigging rod. All using the same technique, same lure same rod and everything. It`s like a lucky dip. You can also catch puffer fish with it as well while you are fishing cyprus. They are shown in photos later in my book.

It`s best that you know what each fish is before you touch or eat them for obvious reason. In fact the first fish I ever caught Fishing Cyprus from a boat put me in hospital for three days. That was within 45 minutes of touching it. You can`t be too careful. Now for the technique of vertical jigging, First thing to consider is your rod. Best if it`s no more than 3 meters long. You can use s very light trolling rod, with multiplier reel or a normal rod and reel. Generally the lighter your set up is the better it is to use because the vertical jigging action is quite an energetic one.